Acupuncture can be intimidating and perhaps even scary for some patients. Just the thought of needles can immediately put a patient on the defense and discount the immeasurable benefits of acupuncture treatment. Understanding the entire treatment process can assist a patient in resolving their phobia. Being prepared and knowledgeable with the acupuncture treatment processes will help alleviate the stress and anxiety most can associate with acupuncture.
Components of Acupuncture
Acupuncture consists of a trained and certified professional who places tiny and very thin needles in certain points along the body to alleviate pain and muscle tension. The acupuncture professional performs an evaluation to determine the specific pain experienced; including lifestyle, behaviors, and all symptoms. The consultation serves to create a treatment plan specific to the individual patient. Each acupuncturist has a specific style and preferences toward different treatment plans. It is important to communicate and ask questions of the acupuncturist to ensure a successful fit.
During treatment, the tiny and thin needles are placed along the body based on the discussed treatment plan to provide the best pain relief measures for the pain. Typically, five to 20 needles are used during one session. Here is the most common treatment process for acupuncture:
1. The patient and acupuncturist discuss current symptoms and status of the patient’s discomfort.
2. The acupuncturist follows the treatment plan and discusses the day’s treatment with the patient.
3. The patient lies on a padded table.
4. The acupuncturist places the needles into the body.
5. The patient will experience some pressure; most patients complain of mild ache when the needle reaches the correct depth. A patient should never experience pain.
6. The acupuncturist may manipulate the needles by gently twirling the needles. Sometimes heat or a mild electrical current is applied for deep pain relief.
7. The needles will remain in place for approximately 10 to 20 minutes, depending on the treatment plan. The patient does not move and the acupuncture process promotes calmness.
8. The needles are painlessly removed and the treatment is complete.
Patients experience a relaxed state and many also experience a feeling of being energized. Patients should never apply cold after an acupuncture session. Always apply heat to alleviate any soreness. Rest and take it easy after treatment (mild exercise). The body experiences a state of balance and it is important to allow the body to rest.
Chiropractic Healing Center offers a comprehensive consultation with a certified and highly trained acupuncture professionals. They can answer all questions and concerns regarding their exceptional acupuncture services. Give us a call for more information!