An ideal spine has gentle curves when viewed from the side. These curves help with shock absorption and caring the weight of the body. Abnormal spinal curvatures can be categorized in one of these three ways:
- Lordosis: More commonly known as swayback, lordosis describes a spinal abnormality that causes the spine to curve dramatically inward in the lumbar area.
- Kyphosis: When the upper back has a curvature greater than 50 degrees, a patient is diagnosed with kyphosis.
- Scoliosis: One of the most well-known abnormal spinal curvatures, scoliosis results in the spine having a sideways curve that is an s or c shape.
Abnormal spinal curvatures can create a strain on the muscles that support the spine as well as lead to subluxations in the vertebrae that restrict nervous system function and blood flow. Common causes of these abnormalities include:
- Achondroplasia (dwarfism)
- Abnormal vertebrae development in-utero
- Poor posture
- Scheuermann’s disease
- Spinal Bifida
- Spinal infections
- Spinal tumors
Chiropractic care may not be able to fully correct all abnormal spinal curvatures, but it has been found to bring relief to the pain and discomfort that they cause. In addition to spinal manipulations, we can also use stretching, massage and lifestyle counseling to help your spine be in the best shape possible.
No matter what your spinal problems, chiropractic care can offer a solution. Our natural techniques not only help your back, but also contribute to total body wellness. Although we are best known for helping backs, we can treat a wide range of conditions including ear infections, cold/flu and headaches. Schedule a visit to Chiropractic Healing Center to begin the road to relief and healing. Call to set up your appointment today.