If it seems like you are hearing more about asthma these days, it is probably because it is one of the most common health problems in America. At least 1 in 4 people in the United States have been diagnosed with asthma and that number seems to be climbing.
Patients with asthma can experience attacks that are triggered by allergens or overexertion. These attacks cause small air passages in the lungs (known as bronchioles) to spasm and fill with mucus. This causes difficulty in breathing, wheezing and coughing.
Although there is no cure for asthma, its sometimes-fatal symptoms are managed with medications such as inhalers, allergy shots, oral medications and corticosteroids. You wouldn’t think it is a condition that can be treated with chiropractic care, but new studies are proving different.
According to a recent study:
- Children with asthma had improved lung capacity after 15 treatments
- Function of the respiratory system is connected to the spinal and nervous systems
- Subluxations in the neck can cause spasms that suppress lymph flow and disrupt the immune system
- Chiropractic adjustments improve the mechanics of the spine and chest cavity
- The phrenic nerve which is tied to the respiratory system can be restricted when subluxations in the 3rd, 4th or 5th vertebrae in the neck.
Once the connection between the spine and the respiratory is learned, chiropractic treatment for asthma does not seem as far fetched. By taking pressure caused by subluxations off of key blood vessels and nerves, the respiratory systems function is improved and less asthma attacks occur.
If you are tired of being on steroids and other medications for your asthma, it’s time to give chiropractic care a try. It not only helps with asthma treatment but a whole host of other ailments like allergies, cold symptoms and headaches. Schedule a visit to Chiropractic Healing Center to start your treatment today.