If you have a knotted and tight muscle, take note that there are instances when stretching exercises are not enough to break it. In this case, you can make use of a foam roller, which can further improve the results of your workouts. The good thing about the foam roller is that it works in breaking down scar tissues and adhesions found in your muscles’ soft tissues. You can expect it to help in enhancing blood flow and circulation in your soft tissues, smoothing trigger points and relieving upper and lower back pains.
Here are some foam roller exercises designed to release tightness in your upper and lower back muscles, causing the pain in those areas.
Upper Back Roll
- Lie down. Make sure that your back is on the floor when doing so.
- Put the fame roller beneath the upper back. Your arms should then be crossed in front of you. This should protract your shoulder blades.
- Lift your hips from the ground. Make sure that you transfer your weight into the foam roller.
- Transfer the weight to the other side, letting the upper roll to mid-back.
- Do the same on the other side.
- While in a seated position, put the foam roller beneath the lower part of your leg. The other leg should be on the floor, giving support to your weight.
- Put your hands behind you or at the sides. Press down, so you can raise the hips from the floor. Make sure that your weight is on your calf muscle.
- Roll starting below your knee to the upper part of your muscle.
- Do the same steps on the other leg.
Lower Back Roll
- Lie down. Your back should be on the floor. Let your foam roller rest beneath your lower back.
- Raise your left leg. You should then hug your left knee.
- Roll starting from your left rib cage’s base to the upper part of your glutes.
- Do 10 to 12 slow repetitions. Perform the same steps, but on the opposite side.
Aside from relieving back problems and injuries, these foam roller exercises can also improve the flexibility of your muscles and remove the tightness and pain in both your back and hips. Add Chiropractic care to help find relief for those back pains. Call today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Cheree Sandness-Johnson at Chiropractic Healing Center.