“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”—Hippocrates
The specialty of chiropractic medicine revolves around empowering the body to heal itself. One of the best ways to accomplish this is through your diet. We can work with you to make dietary changes that can aid in your healing and improve your overall health. We also understand that is difficult to eat a completely balanced diet and that’s why we can offer counseling on nutritional assessment.
To achieve your best health possible, follow these guidelines:
- Eat 2 to 3 servings of protein per day—preferably from a meat source. A portion is roughly equal to the size of your hand. Choose fresh, organic, grass-fed, or free-range choices that are free of antibiotics and hormones.
- Eat fresh, raw vegetables with your meat as well as snacks. Raw vegetables have a higher vitamin content as well as more beneficial enzymes. Avoid store-bought vegetable juices but it is fine to juice your own at home. A good ratio of vegetables to meat is 65% to 35%.
- Enjoy fruit as a snack but not during meals. Avoid fruit juices because they are high in sugar and limit your intake of dried fruit for the same reason.
- Remove processed foods from your diet, as they are high in refined carbohydrates and sugars.
- Make water your beverage of choice and avoid sodas. Even diet sodas are harmful to your health.
- By making changes gradually rather than all at once, you increase your chance of being successful in your new, healthier lifestyle.