With the holidays fast approaching, many people are making plans to travel to spend time with the ones they love. If you are suffering sciatica, the discomfort of travel may sometimes outweigh the joy of the trip. Here are some tips to help you be more comfortable whether you’ll be traveling by plane, train or automobile.
- If possible, reserve an aisle seat for your next flight. This will allow you to easily get up and walk around to ease discomfort once every hour.
- Use wheeled luggage to put less strain on your back.
- Do not lift bags into the overhead bins. Ask for assistance from the flight attendants.
- Whether flying or driving, use a pillow for lumbar support.
- Keep doing your corrective exercises even when you aren’t at home.
- Sit in a slightly reclined position to take pressure off of your sciatic nerve.
- Alternate between hot and cold packs to minimize pain.
- Do not carry items in your back pocket that will cause you to sit unevenly.
- Stay hydrated.
If your travel plans are scheduled before you are completely healed, it doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy your trip. By following these tips, you can help lessen your sciatica symptoms and be able to celebrate like everyone else.